Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I join the Club?: A: You can join the club in either of two ways. You can download a membership from here and return it with the membership fee to the club treasurer. Or you can have a look at our calendar of walks on this site and join us for one of your choice. If you like what you see you can sign up on the day.
Q: What is the membership fee?: A: At present the membership fee is €50 per annum. This is reviewed each year at the club AGM.
Q: Is insurance required?: A: Whilst it not compulsory to have insurance to roam on the Irish uplands it is certainly advisable. Therefore all members of KMC require insurance. The cost of this public liability insurance is covered in the annual membership fee. The membership card that you will receive when you join proves that you have insurance cover.
Q: How do I get information on walks?: A: On the Friday prior to a walk information is posted on our Facebook page, also you will receive a text message if you provided a mobile number.
Q: Are dogs allowed on walks?: A: NO. The vast majority of the areas we walk or climb is on private land. This land is mainly owned by sheep farmers who take major exception to any dogs (on lead or not) being on that land.
Q: What equipment should I need to enjoy a walk with the club?:
A: Walkers need to be adequately equipped to meet the adverse conditions frequently met on the Irish uplands.
The following is the recommended list:
- Suitable boots with good grip and ankle support (runners are NOT suitable).
- A full set of raingear,
- Plenty of warm synthetic clothing (fleece garments and track pants are ideal. Jeans and cotton clothing are not suitable).
- Gloves and a hat.
- Food and drink.
- A good rucksack with a waterproof liner.
- Map, compass and whistle.
- Sun hat and sun screen ( for our Irish summer weather).
- Mobile phone.
- Clothing to change into at the end of the walk.
- Mobile Phone.
- A change of clothes for the end of the walk.